Jost Matthias Quantz
By R. Dale Martin
Note: Dianne Cunningham is also descended from Jost Quantz. You can see more of her family’s account on the Zacharias Quantz webpage. http://members.rogers.com/quanzfamily/Ch25.0-ZachariasQuantz.htm
My name is R. Dale Martin. I am originally from Arkansas, now living in Illinois. My grandmother was Frances "Fanny" Emelia Quantz born of the union of Albert Edward Quantz and Bettie Allen Crowell.
Grandpa Quantz was born in the Washington DC area in November 1849 from the union of George Theodore Quantz who immigrated from Germany and Liina Pflueger.
None of your names on the website match any of the names that I have except for one: Johann Joachim Quantz with his wife's name as Anna Rosina Carolina Haelgel (? on spelling on that last name). My record shows that Johann was a brother to my gggggggggg (? I didn't count) father who was Jost Matthias Quantz. Their father is reported to be Andreas Quantz (1648-1707) who had 5 additional children (names unknown) from his marriage to Elisabeth Bouerman (1661-1702), daughter of Cordt Bouerman.
Andreas was a farrier at Oberschaden and was the son of another farrier at Oberschedan, in the province of Ham...(?). The father's name was Zacharias Quantz born 1623 in Waldeck Germany and died at Oberschedan. His wife was Catherine Hentze, daughter of Christopher Hentz. They had 10 children and were married in 1640.
We will fill in more information in coming months.
A final note:
While working on my post-Master's studies at Indiana University, I taught in the local area school district during the day. The district hosted a group of teachers from Germany, one of which I was introduced to as a Quanz. I shared with her the information that I had. We had a couple of conversations upon her return home and she had provided the information to someone who assisted in genealogical searches, who gave a positive review of the information on an initial scan. Unfortunately with a year of Oral Exams facing me, I was unable to contact her and when I did attempt to, I received no response. She had moved from that program and had gone to other programs, in which I could not trace.
Caution: The information that I am operating from was given to me some 35 years ago as a teenager. Whereas, the information appears completely accurate once Georg Theodore arrived in the United States, the gentleman (my grandmother's brother) had taken information from someone he had met in Germany, a Lutheran Minister named Quantz, who had researched the Quantz name back. I am at the present in the process of verifying and proofing all information that I have on my family tree's branches and marking reference points for new research. With the Quantz name, I have not verified anything beyond George Theodore.
The following Genealogy Report is a combined report from Dale Martin and Dianne Cunningham.
Descendants of Jost Matthias Quantz
Generation No. 1
1. JOST MATTHIAS3 QUANTZ (ANDREAS2, ZACHARIAS1)1 was born March 13, 1686 in Oberscheden, Germany1, and died October 26, 1731 in Oberscheden, Germany1. He married ANNA DOROTHEA RITTER1 1711 in Oberscheden, Germany1.
More About JOST MATTHIAS QUANTZ:
Occupation: Village Musician1
Child of JOST QUANTZ and ANNA RITTER is:
2. i. JOHANN RUDOLF4 QUANTZ, b. February 8, 1725, Oberscheden, Germany; d. June 3, 1772, Oberscheden, Germany.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHANN RUDOLF4 QUANTZ (JOST MATTHIAS3, ANDREAS2, ZACHARIAS1)1 was born February 8, 1725 in Oberscheden, Germany1, and died June 3, 1772 in Oberscheden, Germany1. He married ANNA DORTHEA BROTTE1 June 19, 1753 in Oberscheden, Germany1.
Child of JOHANN QUANTZ and ANNA BROTTE is:
3. i. JOHANN CHRISTIAN5 QUANTZ, b. March 11, 1755, Oberscheden, Germany; d. 1827, Uslar, Germany.
Generation No. 3
3. JOHANN CHRISTIAN5 QUANTZ (JOHANN RUDOLF4, JOST MATTHIAS3, ANDREAS2, ZACHARIAS1)1 was born March 11, 1755 in Oberscheden, Germany1, and died 1827 in Uslar, Germany1. He married UMALIE SCHLAEGEL1.
More About JOHANN CHRISTIAN QUANTZ:
Occupation: Foundry Foreman1
Child of JOHANN QUANTZ and UMALIE SCHLAEGEL is:
4. i. GEORG THEODOR6 QUANTZ, b. 1805, Germany; d. November 23, 1857, Mt. Pleasant, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
Generation No. 4
4. GEORG THEODOR6 QUANTZ (JOHANN CHRISTIAN5, JOHANN RUDOLF4, JOST MATTHIAS3, ANDREAS2, ZACHARIAS1)1 was born 1805 in Germany1, and died November 23, 1857 in Mt. Pleasant, Cabarrus County, North Carolina1. He married HELENA PFLUEGER1.
Notes for GEORG THEODOR QUANTZ:
[Zacharias Quantz Direct Line.FTW]
Philadelphia Port immigrant arrival records: George Theod. Quantz, 36 years old, from Hannover, occ. miner, arrived alone on the bark Philadelphia on 9/21/1840
More About GEORG THEODOR QUANTZ:
Occupation: Smelter, Miner1
Child of GEORG QUANTZ and HELENA PFLUEGER is:
i. ALBERT EDWARD7 QUANTZ1, b. November 19, 1849, Davidson County, North Carolina1; d. February 14, 1929, Saline County, Arkansas1; m. BETTY ALLEN CROWELL1, 18721.
Notes for ALBERT EDWARD QUANTZ:
[Zacharias Quantz Direct Line.FTW]
1880 Scott Co AR Census
ED 169, Lafave Township
Albert E. Quantz Hd 30 NC Hol Hol Farmer
Bettie Wf 24 NC NC NC (Bettie CROWELL)
Herman T.J. S 6 AR NC NC
Mollie L. D 4 AR NC NC
Bettie E.F. D 1 AR NC NC
William Crowell -- 21 Sgl NC NC NC Laborer
Note: Bettie was Elizabeth Allen Crowell from Jennings' first marriage
WIlliam was her brother
1850 census, Cabarrus Cy, NC. Born in Davidson Cy, NC.
1860 census, Cabarrus Cy, NC, Concord town. Born in NC.
1880 census, Scott Cy, AR, Lafave Twp.
1900 census, Saline Cy, Saline twp. 6 children listed.
1910 census, Saline Cy, Fairplay twp. Widower. 4 kids listed. Alberts
parents were born in Germany.
BLM: Obtained 80 acres USG land, 25 Aug 1882, Scott Cy. Cash sale.
Paid Saline Cy personal property taxes in 1896-97.
Received land redemption certificate, Saline Cy, for state owned land, 2 Oct
Was a JP in Saline Cy in 1915. Possibly had a dau Frances Amelia, 1874-1921.
More About ALBERT EDWARD QUANTZ:
Burial: Graham Cememtery1
More About BETTY ALLEN CROWELL:
Burial: Graham Cememtery1
1. Zacharias Quantz Direct Line.FTW, Date of Import: Nov 6, 2002.
- End -